Tuesday 19 January 2016

Golden Gates, Golden Days - Hello San Fransisco!

I arrived in beautiful San Francisco at 7am and after many wrong turns up very steep hills, I found my hostel. I was informed that I could leave my bags, but I could only check in at 3pm, much to my dismay as I really wanted to take a shower and maybe even go back to sleep for an hour or two. Instead, I found myself watching an episode of Bones in the Starbucks up the road, loading up on coffee and the most expensive panini I had bought in a long time.

After I had some food in my system, and more importantly, some coffee, I pulled up a map, decided on a general direction, and headed off in pursuit of something wonderful. I walked through union square and debated about going into the huge Macy's on the corner, but deciding to save myself some trouble - and money - I took a sharp left and walked up the next hill of the day, which ended at the gates to China Town.  I walked down one side of the street, and back up the other, going into practically every store, which as with most China Towns, became very repetitive very quickly. The same basic stock littered ever shop I walked into, aside from the few defining items that allowed each one to somewhat stand out from the others. I reached the gates once more and left, killing time at this point in any way that I could. I didn't want to drift to far away, or climb to many hills, as check in time was looming and for some reason I was rather eager to get settled. The clock finally struck 3pm and I spent the rest of the day getting organized, only leaving to get something to eat later that night.

The next day I was feeling rather adventurous after my subdued day previously, and walked down to the main road that runs the entire width of the city, called Market Steret. This is the street on which many of the Street Cars operate from, but it decided to walk that day, my only goal being to find the ocean at the end of the street. I walked for Kilometers, taking in the city, checking out the stores, and absorbing the atmosphere. I walked straight for ages until the road bent to the right, but I defiantly crossed over it, and into a courtyard in front of the Pier 1 building. I had reached the sea, and walked along the dock, happy as can be. A wonderful surprise was not only the market place situated inside the building, but also the Bay Bridge that ran across the body of water, connecting one land mass to another. It was quite beautiful, so I decided to turn right and walk toward the bridge. San Francisco has many huge art pieces, almost randomly scattered across the land, and I discovered many beautiful ones on the journey that day.

The next day, I hopped onto a Street Car, going in the opposite direction to the one the day before, and hopped off at Golden Gate National Park. It was huge, as most American parks are, and I lost track of time and location, only partially on purpose, but caught myself again quickly as I had plans that night. A day spent in a park is hard to describe as you see and hear so many different things in every single moment, but my evening was a little easier to explain. 
I took the subway and met up with a friend of a family friend who was going to take me to dinner and help me make sure I got the most out of my time in the city. We walked around a bit and she showed me some beautiful murals that decorated the walls, then lead me to a Mexican restaurant which claimed to have the best Burrito in the Country; they were not wrong. It was certainly the best one I had had, and would have for the rest of my trip! We had a wonderful time, chatting the night away, and I ended up at her house, where I met her daughter, who was only a year or so younger than me. Eventually, she called me a cab and I thanked her and her family for such a nice night. 

I woke up the next day super excited, and a little earlier than normal as I was headed down to pier 32 to catch my ferry to Alcatraz!

Yes, that’s right, the notorious prison out at sea the is known to be inescapable! I was so beyond excited to finally see "The Rock” with my own two eyes- something I had dreamed about since watching “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” as in my little mind, the prisons were one in the same.
I jumped onto and off of the ferry, wide eyes and bushy tailed, ready for the adventure ahead: I was mentally prepared for all the incredible things I was to see, but I was not ready for all the walking! That place was huge, but at the same time so tiny when considering that some individuals spent their entire lives there. You may be surprised to know, as I was, that Alcatraz served as a home not only to the inmates, but to entire families! these families were those of the prison guards, administrative staff, medical personal, and just about anyone else who was needed to keep the prison running as the commute from the mainland was ever so far and far to expensive to contemplate. It’s rather strange to think that children grew up right next to the prison, and happily I might add.
Something else that struck me was the physical beauty of the entire island, the gardens, the rocks - not only that but the magnificent views of the city, the ocean, and the Golden Gate Bridge.

On the island, you could pretty much wonder far and wide, as the signs slowly directed you up the the highest point of the Rock: the cell blocks. When you entered the cells, you were handed a self guided and award winning audio tour handset that led you through the ins and outs of the prison blocks themselves. As you moved from room to room, cell to cell, actual past prison guards and prisoners told you their stories- and I promise you, every one gave you chills. 
Some were sad, some were scary, some were action packed, and some were even happy; none of which I will tell you, and all of which you should go and hear for yourself.
It was a truly incredible experience, and one that I will never forget.

Again, I got lucky as just by chance while I was on the island, there was an art exhibit based on freedom and the wrongly accused or oppressed- many of whom became heroes in their own right. 
It was absolutely gorgeous.
One section of it was made completely of Lego, which made up portraits of famous faces and was laid on the floor to span the length and breadth of an entire hall! As I walked around, I even found our very own Nelson Mandela’s face so far away from home. you were lead through the exhibit to fist view it from the ground where you could get up close to everything and truly see the detail put into each work, and as you left, you were lead through an upper part of the building where you could look down on the art work through barred windows: an incredible symbol to be left with.
I didn’t want to leave, but sadly the time came as the sun set over the ocean, and I hopped onto the last ferry back to the city.

By the time the next day came around, I was in desperate need of doing some laundry and of course my hostel did not house such facilities so off I went, walking up the roads and hills with my laundry bag on my back (looking a little too similar to an exhausted Santa Clause than I will ever admit) I went to the closest Laundromat I could find!
When I arrived, I was not disappointed and realized that it was all worth it, not only did this place wash your clothes, but it offered free uncapped WiFi and boasted an entire café and ice cream bar! It was safe to say that I was a happy camper.
Now, as much fun as I was having, real life was starting to creep into this picture, and fast. My bank had decided to freeze my account all the way back in Buffalo and I still hadn’t managed to fully figure it all out. They were very insistent on me “visiting my closest branch at my closest convenience,” hmmmm…..
Regardless, I needed to make a plan fast, and with the next place on my agenda being Alaska, my plan needed to be a good one. I was flat out of ideas and the next leg of my trip was slipping further and further out of my grip, so I did what any self respecting almost-adult would have done: I called my parents.
I kicked up my heels, grabbed an ice cream and milked that WiFi for all it was worth, talking through potential plans with my parents while my washing tumbled and turned one room over.
I fondly recall my mother laughing loudly at me when she heard that I was doing my own laundry, and absolutely howling when she hard that I was struggling with it. “Welcome to the real world, Poppet” – thanks mom.
My mother, father, and I were googling up a storm, trying to find either a way to get me to Alaska or, failing that, another place to stay. Eventually, in a moment of clarity, we remembered that my father had a cousin who lived in Houston who would be happy to have me, more like happy to save me, or so it felt!
Sorted!
Dad was going to get hold of cousin Connie and I had to figure out how to get to her, piece of cake. It just goes to show, no mater where you are or how much trouble you think you are in, good old mom and dad will have your back.
* Soppy moment to say thank you to my incredible parents for being so great! *
I hung up, grabbed my clothes, and headed back to the hostel with a new plan and a new attitude. Sleep came easy that night.

I jumped out of bed and decided to make the most of my last full day in this amazing place before heading onto the next one. I walked down to the cable car station and decided to take it to the end of the line to Pier 39 - Fisherman’s Warf!
I don’t quite know how to describe Fisherman’s Warf other than a hub of shops, food, people, and entertainment, where you just cannot help but be happy. It is fun and vibrant, where every kind of person meets to do every kind of thing.
I walked up and down every pier and saw everything there was to see from huge candy stores to interactive zombie slaying experiences, football memorabilia stores to real military ship displays from World War 2, there was never a dull moment!
I was exhausted from the morning but I somehow got it into my head that I was going to try to walk to the Golden Gate Bridge, which I later found out was about 4 miles (6.5km) in the hilliest place I have ever been.
Needless to say, I didn’t make it, but I had fun trying! I phoned my best friend Caroline to keep me company on my walk, and she laughed at me as I could hardly speak I was so out of breath!

Eventually, the sun was beating me home, so I decided to turn around and make my way back to my hostel to take a long shower and pack my bags. I was off to Texas tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment